With the popularity of electronic cigarettes comes a marketplace all its own. As the demand and resulting supply has increased for e-cigs and accessories over the past few years, with it comes all that you find with any other type of shopping division, especially one that focuses largely around online shopping as well as international shopping.
As with shopping for anything, especially online, you should be a savvy shopper. This means it is important to look for coupons, free shipping and other great deals. Of course, it also means being cautious about who you do business with or give your information out to. While you don’t want to be overly paranoid, you also don’t want to end up being the victim of a scam.
Coupons and Smokeless Devices
When it comes to getting a great deal with your purchases for an e-cig, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- In this day and age of the convenience of browsing the internet means it is always a good idea to search for coupons online before making a purchase of any kind. There are plenty of places online to find legitimate and valid coupons, and without any strings attached.
- Very often the brands and manufacturers themselves will offer coupons and discounts to entice new customers. You can usually easily find some sort of discount for a starter kit from multiple brands. If not, you may even take it upon yourself to contact the company directly and ask if they have any current coupons or discounts you should know about.
- Holidays are a great time to look for coupons and sales. Yes even electronic cigs offer holiday specials and sales. In fact, almost any holiday will do. So if it is nearing a month with a holiday, in June for example for Father’s Day, wait and see if there is a big sale. Sometimes getting as much as 50% off can be the matter literally of waiting a day or two to make your purchase.
- Worst case scenario, if you find a better deal on a brand you just bought it can’t hurt to ask for the price difference either refunded or at least applied towards credit for future purchases.
Of course one common thing you may come across is the offer of free shipping. Keep in mind this can certainly be a great way to find savings but you should also keep a few things in mind. Free shipping is often a way to lure potential customers in, but you should still use some caution. More than likely the brands offering free shipping on e-cigs are still making their money back one way or another.
It doesn’t mean it is shady business; it is just another approach to take to attract potential customers. So when you see offers for free shipping keep a few things in mind:
- If you are browsing different brands and one offers free shipping and one doesn’t, take a look at the cost of the products being offered. Very often companies make up for shipping costs by charging more for products.
- For your free shipping you may have to get a “membership.” This membership automatically reorders products and bills it to your credit card. So in exchange for free shipping you may also get lured into getting products you don’t always need.
Watching for Scams
There is always concern when ordering online that your product may simply not show up. Try to do an online search of the company as well as check with the Better Business Bureau before giving out your personal or financial information. The chance for fraud may increase if you are ordering outside of the U.S., but just try to do research to find if other customers got what they were promised and what they paid for.
The most common scam right now is not even outright fraud in which your information is stolen or used without permission. Companies offer a free electronic cigarette device and in return all you have to do is supply your credit card or other method of payment for auto-withdraw for reordering of supplies.
The problem usually occurs when the orders keep coming for products you don’t want or need all of this for a free device that is not very good quality. Trying to contact the company to cancel the membership can be close to impossible, and getting your bank to put an end to the auto withdraw can take a great deal of time.
The bottom line is to be careful when shopping online for these or any products. It is also important to be guarded when giving out personal or financial information to anyone you don’t know. When in doubt do a little detective work prior to handing out your information.