These electronic devices have made it possible for users to have little to worry about when it comes to use. However this does not mean they are completely maintenance free. Some users opt for the disposable kind so they don’t have to do any maintenance or upkeep. Those, however, who choose to get something more permanent than the disposable kind will have some upkeep to consider.
First, here’s an understanding of the difference between the two:
- Completely disposable devices are most commonly the single piece units available for sale. They are meant to be discarded when the e-liquid runs out. It is also important to dispose of them in the same manner you would a battery.
- Rechargeable and reusable models are usually the two or three piece units. Because these are reusable, they require a refill of either e-juice or e-liquid or new cartridges if you are not going to do the refilling yourself.
Some people prefer the disposable kind because there is no maintenance, cleaning, upkeep and reordering involved. Of course this also becomes a more costly hobby if you are not using the device repeatedly. Not to mention reusing your device is considered more “green.”
What Needs Replacing
When you do opt to use the rechargeable version of an electronic cigarette, there are a few things you need to replace:
- E-juice cartridges – The substance that creates the vapor that you draw in is in the cartridges. The cartridge is filled with e-juice or e-liquid. You can buy them prefilled or get this liquid to fill cartridges yourself. Some users find that making this a DIY hobby can be more cost effective. However there are some things to keep in mind about taking this route. The most important thing to consider is that the liquid can be potentially hazardous, especially if it contains nicotine. Direct contact with the skin can be toxic or even fatal, so it must be kept out of the reach of children and pets.
- Atomizers – The atomizer is the device responsible for heating up liquid to create vapor. Obviously the constant heating will mean this piece will eventually need replacing. Much of the lifespan depends on how much use the device gets. You can expect the average atomizer to last about one month, give or take a week. If you do not replace this piece as needed, you will notice the device does not work as needed.
- Batteries – As with any electronic device, one of the main issues is the battery. It requires constant recharging. Read reviews of several different brands of smokeless devices and you will probably notice there are usually regular complaints about the battery life not lasting long enough. Many users get extra batteries with their initial starter kit order. Other people usually end up ordering another battery at a later date.
Making the Choice
If you were ever a traditional tobacco cigarette smoker, you already know the numerous reasons to give it up. Now you may just be deciding if you want a disposable electronic cig or a reusable one to start your new hobby. Either choice will still end up saving you money compared to the outrageous and still rising costs of tobacco smokes.
Keep in mind that even though there is some maintenance and upkeep required, it isn’t as bad as it may seem. If you do opt to get a two or three piece device just keep in mind you will have to do some cleaning and reordering. Here’s a rundown of some of the things you will need to do if you choose not to go disposable:
- You will need to clean your device. This can be especially true if you choose to fill your own cartridges. These devices are known for leaking more, and users often overfill the cartridges, which can cause leaks too. Either way for better use you will have to clean yours periodically. If you notice your device not working as well as it should, clean it first before ordering new parts.
- Ordering new juice or cartridges. Of course for hobbyists, trying new flavors of cartridges is one of the enjoyable parts of the experience. Those who do it themselves with liquid also usually begin to branch out into making their own new blended flavors. Why order Vanilla Cola cartridges when you can get Vanilla juice and Cola juice and make it yourself to your flavor liking.
- Any parts that will break or wear out will need replacing. If you have had your device for a while, you may in fact simply decide to order a whole new one. This gives you a chance to get the latest model or switch to another brand and try a new one. It is not uncommon for users to have or try several different brands as they get more involved in the hobby.
Do some research and read what other users have to say. You can quickly learn which brands seem to perform great and which ones aren’t worth the trouble.